top of page

Grup

Herkese Açık·21 üye

My Dog Ate My Homework by Dave Crawley: A Review and Analysis of the Poem

My Dog Ate My Homework Poem by Dave Crawley: A Fun and Funny Read for Kids

Have you ever had trouble with your homework? Have you ever wished you had a good excuse to avoid doing it? If so, you might enjoy reading My Dog Ate My Homework, a poem by Dave Crawley that tells a hilarious story of a boy who tries to fool his teacher with a tall tale about his doggy's appetite for homework.

my dog ate my homework poem by dave crawley

Download Zip: https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fvittuv.com%2F2ud71F&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw1NqbbGk4z8a2almFWocZzQ

In this article, we will explore what this poem is about, how it is written, what it means, and who wrote it. By the end of this article, you will have a better understanding of this poem and why it is so popular among kids.

The Plot of the Poem: How a Doggy Cooked Up a Homework Feast

The poem My Dog Ate My Homework is written from the perspective of a boy who has not done his homework and is afraid of failing. He decides to make up a story about his dog eating his homework in various creative ways. He tells his teacher that his dog:

• Chewed it up

• Tossed it in a pot with succotash

• Scrambled it with eggs and bacon strips

• Sautéed it with spelling words and potato chips

• Gently fried it with arithmetic

• Broiled it with book reports and pickles

• Cooked it into a notebook stew with ketchup

He also adds some details to make his story more believable, such as saying that his dog wore an apron and a chef hat, that he barked when he objected, and that he said it tasted good. He hopes that his teacher will be impressed by his imagination and let him off the hook.

However, his teacher does not buy his story at all. She asks him sarcastically if his dog wore a chef hat, and then sends him to the office for lying. The boy realizes that he made a big mistake in telling her all that, especially because he does not even have a dog. His cat ate it.

The Style of the Poem: How Dave Crawley Uses Rhyme, Humor, and Imagination

The poem My Dog Ate My Homework is written in a simple and catchy rhyme scheme that makes it easy to read and remember. Each stanza has four lines that rhyme in an AABB pattern. For example:

"He simmered it with succotash

Till it was piping hot.

He scrambled up my science notes

With eggs and bacon strips."

The poet also uses humor and imagination to make the poem more entertaining and appealing to kids. He uses funny words and phrases, such as "doggy", "succotash", "sautéed", "broiled", and "notebook stew". He also uses imagery and exaggeration to create a vivid picture of the dog's cooking process and the boy's excuses. For example:

"He wore a doggy apron

As he cooked a notebook stew.

He barked when I objected.

There was nothing I could do."

The tone of the poem is playful and lighthearted, even though the boy is in trouble. The poet does not judge the boy or the teacher, but rather lets the reader enjoy the absurdity and irony of the situation.

The Theme of the Poem: How the Poem Teaches a Lesson About Lying and Responsibility

The poem My Dog Ate My Homework is not just a funny story, but also a lesson about lying and responsibility. The boy in the poem learns the hard way that lying does not pay off, and that he should have done his homework instead of making up excuses. The poem shows that:

• Lying can backfire: The boy's story is so ridiculous and unbelievable that his teacher does not fall for it. Instead of getting away with his lie, he gets in more trouble for lying.

• Lying can be self-defeating: The boy's story is so elaborate and detailed that he reveals his own lie. He mentions things that are impossible or contradictory, such as a talking dog, a doggy chef hat, and a cat eating a dog.

• Lying can be avoided: The boy's story is unnecessary and avoidable. He could have done his homework instead of wasting time and energy on making up a story. He could have also told the truth and faced the consequences.

The poem teaches kids that lying is not a good solution to their problems, and that they should be honest and responsible with their homework and other tasks.

The Author of the Poem: Who is Dave Crawley and What Else Has He Written?

Dave Crawley is the author of the poem My Dog Ate My Homework. He is a poet, writer, and television reporter who was born in Frankfurt, Germany, in 1950. He grew up in Virginia and Massachusetts, and studied at Washington and Lee University and Emerson College. He currently lives in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, where he works as a feature reporter for KDKA-TV.

Dave Crawley has written many poems and books for children, mostly about animals, sports, school, and humor. Some of his other popular poems include Cat Poems, Dog Poems, Reading, Rhyming, and 'Rithmetic, School Fever, My Teacher's In Detention, My Teacher Dances on the Desk, My Teacher Likes to Say, My Teacher Isn't Feeling Well, My Teacher Sleeps in School, My Teacher Flunked the Planet, My Teacher Fried My Brains, My Teacher Glows in the Dark, My Teacher Is an Alien, and many more.

Dave Crawley's poems are known for their rhyme, humor, imagination, and appeal to kids. He has won many awards for his poetry and reporting, such as the Parents' Choice Award, the Golden Quill Award, the Emmy Award, and the Edward R. Murrow Award. He has also been featured in many magazines, newspapers, radio shows, and websites.

Conclusion: Why You Should Read My Dog Ate My Homework Poem by Dave Crawley

FAQs

• What is the rhyme scheme of the poem My Dog Ate My Homework?

The rhyme scheme of the poem is AABB, which means that the first and second lines rhyme, and the third and fourth lines rhyme.

• What is the tone of the poem My Dog Ate My Homework?

The tone of the poem is playful and lighthearted, even though the boy is in trouble. The poet does not judge the boy or the teacher, but rather lets the reader enjoy the absurdity and irony of the situation.

• What is the message of the poem My Dog Ate My Homework?

The message of the poem is that lying is not a good solution to problems, and that honesty and responsibility are better values. The boy learns that lying can backfire, be self-defeating, and be avoided.

• Who is Dave Crawley and what else has he written?

Dave Crawley is a poet, writer, and television reporter who was born in Frankfurt, Germany, in 1950. He has written many poems and books for children, mostly about animals, sports, school, and humor. Some of his other popular poems include Cat Poems, Dog Poems, Reading, Rhyming, and 'Rithmetic, School Fever, My Teacher's In Detention, and many more.

• Where can I read the poem My Dog Ate My Homework?

You can read the poem online at the Poetry Foundation website, or listen to an audio version at the AnimalHero Pet Laureate podcast. You can also find the poem in the book If Kids Ruled the School: More Kids' Favorite Funny School Poems, edited by Bruce Lansky and published by Meadowbrook Press in 2004.

71b2f0854b

Hakkında

Gruba hoş geldiniz! Diğer üyelerle bağlantı kurabilir, günce...
Grup Sayfası: Groups_SingleGroup
bottom of page